Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Which one are you?

Image of an old writing desk. Source: Library of Congress
Writing. Everyone can do it. Right? I mean, that's what I often hear when I tell someone I'm writing on my next book. "Oh, you're a writer?" Then, comes the myriad of reasons of why they just never seem to have gotten down to it. Time constraints, inspiration to write, hot outside, cold outside are some that come to mind.

Can anyone write? Yes, and, in my opinion, everyone should. Writing is the space in which our minds are allowed to stretch and roam freely, far away from the cranium confines of daily life. Writing is opening the windows on a perfect spring day and allowing the cool breeze to sweep you away, if only for a second. Yes, everyone should write.

Can anyone write well? Here is where it gets a bit tricky. Can anyone rock climb? I know for a fact I can't. Get me on a rock wall in the mall and I'm like a octoplegic spider trying to get back to its web. The point is, it takes time and conditioning. Good writing is a craft that requires - no demands - large swaths of attention. It is a jealous craft that doesn't always play well with others.

If you intend to be a serious Writer, read. Read a lot. If you don't like to read, you'll have a hard time with writing. Don't wing it. Find books by good, respected authors and read. Learn from them. Read what interests you.

Is there a writer in each of us? Perhaps there is a writer that is just begging to be let out of the cage for a little while. Let the writer in you breathe that sweet spring air. It has been said before, there are two types of writers. Those who write and those who don't. Which one are you going to be?


No comments:

Post a Comment